Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Last 3 Months

For the last three months I have been doing the Mami thing.  It has been an amazing ride so far and everyday I still can't believe I'm a parent.  Every week I try to visit my best friend Nia and she always looks at Francisco and then looks at me and says "you have a baby" and I say "I know its crazy".  You have 9 months to get use to the idea that your going to be a parent, but once it happens it's still unbelievable. 

It has not been an easy ride, there have been ups and downs and lots of things to figure out.  During the first couple of weeks I had some major cabin fever because I was told that I shouldn't exert myself for the first 2 weeks which meant that I shouldn't take long walks or lift anything heavier then my baby (7lbs).  Well I was going crazy, but luckily many friends and family came by to visit and keep me company with the baby.  During week three I got an infection in the milk ducts of my breast and I had a fever for about three days before I new what was happening.

My wonderful and loving husband who was able to stay home and help most day for the first two weeks got wrapped up in the beginning of the football season. He spent several nights hanging out until really late with his friends watching football; I wanted to kill him.  I also felt that he needed to help me out more with keeping the house together.  Instead of killing him we sat down and had a long talk about where I needed him to help. Now things are great and he is more aware of how he can help.  Now that he is super busy at work and is unable to help as much, we have hired 2 of my former students who are college bound to come once a week to clean up and do some laundry.  Now, instead of us cleaning when he is home we are able to spend time relaxing together.

The biggest problem that I had to solve was creating a schedule and routines for me and Francisco.  Now I make sure that I'm up by 9am.  We shower, eat and get dressed.  Mondays and Wednesdays we go to Gymboree. Tuesdays I go to Central Park for the walking tours if weather permits it.  On Thursdays I meet up with my mother and sister for lunch, and Friday I just make sure that we go on a long walk.  As long as I follow this weekly schedule I'm out of the house at least once a day and that makes a big difference.  Usually I also visit Nia at work or go for long walks in Riverside or Central Park.

So now that I have figured out a few things I hope that I can slowly add more activities to my days including this blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment