Monday, March 5, 2012

You Know Your a Parent When....

When my son was 2 weeks old I was talking to my sister while getting ready to go out to dinner with my family and my new baby boy.  I looked at myself in the mirror, looked at her and said, "I know I'm a mother because I'm not going to change my shirt even though I'm wrinkled and there is some pee on it."  The main reason I didn't want to change my shirt beside laziness, was the fact that you weren't able to see the fat that was still lingering after only giving birth 2 weeks earlier...

That's the shirt...
For the last 6 months I've had several unforgettable moments where I say to myself, okay I get it I'm a mother; here are a few of those moments...
  • I went for my 6 week pelvic exam after having my son and nobody was available to watch him.  Waiting took longer then expected and by the time I was called in Francisco was fussy and hungry.  My doctor told me to take my time and feed him, but he wasn't having it.  I thought I was going to have to reschedule for another day, instead I ended up breast feeding him while getting my pelvic exam...fun...
  • I went to TD Bank with my friend Nia, it was a nice day and I was wearing a summer dress.  Francisco was being fussy and didn't want to be in his stroller so I was holding him.  As we were waiting on line I felt something warm on my body.  I moved Francisco away from me and that is when I saw it, the big wet spot on my dress.  But wait there's more...not only did he pee on me, he continued to pee all over the floor of TD Bank... Miraculously, the pee came from the side of his diaper and when it leaked none of the pee got on his onesie just on me and the floor.
  • All my life I have seen my friends go and get family portraits done (family pictures at Sears...lol) .  My family never did that so I always found it to be strange to take a staged family photograph... At my baby shower my sister & brother-in-law gave me a gift certificate to a place called Portrait Bug where I could take pictures of the baby and get a special package of 3 pictures in a frame.  When Francisco became 3 months I went and had pictures taken.  Oh My Gosh!!! I was hooked.  So far I have gone in for three sessions and not only have I bought pictures every time, I put them in frames the same day I pick them up.  So I have become one of those parents and I plan on getting many family portraits taken in the future... (I have a 4th appointment at the end of this week)
I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and I'm in for hundreds of special and laughable moments when I'll say to myself "this is the life of being a Mom".  I will continue to share the extra funny moments... What are some of your eye opening moments of parenthood?  I would love for you to share them in the comments box, I'm sure everyone has some great stories...




1 comment:

  1. You know your a mother when it's 4 am and your looking through blogs or Facebook to keep from falling asleep. Yes, you are tired but its that moment when your waiting for the baby to fall fast asleep before you doze off. This way you don't deal with the fun of getting up 6 times from a deep sleep to give him his pacifier.

    CELIA.

    ReplyDelete