Friday, August 5, 2011

Edamame Spa @ Destination Maternity

Website:  Edamamespa
Location:
28 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10022

Contact Information:
(212) 588-1990
Hours: 
Monday - Friday 10:00-8:00
Saturday - 10:00-7:00
Sunday - 12:00-6:00

The Edamame Spa is located on the Lower Level of Destination Maternity.  They provide all types of services such as facials, massages, body treatments, and enhancements.  While they cater to pregnant women, you don't have to be pregnant to enjoy their services.

For more information about the services provided and prices click on the link above
*****************************************
I am currently in the 8th month of my pregnancy and I thought I would treat myself to a full body massage since I am in the most uncomfortable part of my pregnancy.  I thought that I would share my experience with you because pregnant or not, all women should treat themselves every now and then.  The last time I was at Destination Maternity I asked for a tour of the spa and was given a coupon for $20 dollars off, so what would have been a $130 massage + tax became a $113 massage.  So I recommend going and getting a tour so you can get the coupon and make your appointment.

Before I go into describing my experience I would like to say that the women who work there are very nice, service was fantastic, and the massage was exactly what I needed; not to mention the best massage I've ever had.

My Experience:
When I walked in the ambiance was very relaxing, the lights were low, there was clamming music and the sound of a waterfall. After filling out some basic paper work I was shown the waiting room which has juices, water and yummy Luna bars. I was then directed to the dressing room where I was given a locker, a cotton robe and slippers.   I was early so I was offered a complementary foot soak. When I went into the waiting room the foot soak was set up and waiting for me. Now as a New Yorker that likes to do five things at once and is always on the go I had no problem adjusting to all this relaxation and pampering. I had no problem leaving my phone in my locker (there is no signal anyway) and just  reading a magazine while I soaked my feet.  After about 10 minutes of reading and drinking my juice one of the women came in with a lovely foot scrub and quickly scrubbed my feet, it was great.

Now let's talk massage.... They have many options and you don't have to be pregnant to come in and get a massage, so all you women out there who have pregnant friends this is  a great gift and excuse to get a massage for yourself.

I decided to get a full body 50 minute mommy to be massage, and it was heaven. There are two ways to get a massage if your pregnant. You can do it on your side with a really comfortable body pillow or they have this cushion with a space for your belly so you can lay face down. They suggest being on your side if your in your third trimester.

Before beginning my masseuse asked me where I wanted her to focus and how much pressure I preferred before getting started. All I can say is that spot on the lower left side of my back feels so good right now and I didn't realize that I had so much tension in my shoulders. She started off massaging the right side of my body, moved on the to left side and then adjusted the table like a reclining chair so I could be on my back (I need one of those tables). She then gently rubbed Mama Mio citrus belly butter all over my belly and massaged my shoulders some more.  She had an amazing touch and applied just the right amount of pressure.

After my massage I went back to the waiting room had some water, a chocolate brownie Luna bar and just relaxed some more. I've never enjoyed relaxing so much in my life and I was afraid they were going to have to throw me out.  I absolutely plan on going back after having my baby for a postnatal massage and maybe even a facial..

No comments:

Post a Comment